NGO demands Rs 1 crore compensation for minor labourer electrocuted & amputated by high tension wire

SHIMLA- In another horrible accident, a 17-year-old Nepalese child labourer lost both his legs after he in contact with high tension wire of Himachal Pradesh Electricity Board. According to the victim Naresh, the accident took place on 26th September in Shatala Village, Kotgarh, district Shimla.

In a letter to Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, Ajai Shrivastva, chairman of Umang Foundation, a public welfare trust, said that since the boy’s life has been spoiled by a State agency, a compensation of at least Rs. one crore be awarded and urged the CM to order a high level inquiry in to the matter so that justice could be done to the poor child.

Nepali labourer in Himachal

Naresh, who was working with a private contractor, not just lost both his legs but also sustained severe burns all over his body, and is still fighting for his life at Indira Gandhi Medical College for last two months. He was brought to IGMC Shimla on the evening of 26th September where his both legs were amputated and his head, chest, back, neck and ears are still full of bandages due to severe wounds. A team of doctors lead by Dr.D.K Verma, department of surgery is working hard to his life.

Unfortunately, the boy was left on his own by the contractor and the government despite the fact that the victim is a minor and is now completely disabled. According to the father of the boy, Buddha who rushed to Shimla from Nepal on hearing the news, the contractor allegedly came to hospital after a week and gave Rs. 20,000 as ‘relief’ but in fact it was the first payment after four months’ work of the boy.

Nepali labourer in Himachal 2

Naresh was assured the wages at a rate of Rs. 300 per day but the contractor did not pay a single paisa to him before this accident. According to Naresh’s father, more than 20,000 Rupees are still to be paid by the contractor who did not appear again to see the boy.

The Chairman of the organization, Ajai Shrivastave held a press conference in Shimla and said,

Four days ago I met the child in the hospital who narrated the terrifying incident occurred on 26th September in Shatala village of Kotgarh in Shimla District. As per Naresh, he hails from village Salyan, District Lakshmipur, Nepal and came to Kotgarh about six month ago and started work as daily wager with a big contractor. His work was to cook meals for 16 labourers and bring firewood for kitchen. On 26th September after completing his kitchen work at about 9 in the morning, he went to the nearby forest to pick firewood. He does not remember what happened thereafter.

He further added,

Indra Bahadur says his son is just 17 years old but the people who got him admitted in the hospital got his age registered in the admission slip as 18 years which is wrong,

In his letter to CM, Srivastava said the life of the Nepalese child has been spoiled for which HPSEB, state government and the contractor is responsible. He has urged the CM to order a high level inquiry in to the matter, book the people and agencies responsible for the accident and take stringent action against the culprits. The entire amount incurred on the treatment be also reimbursed to the victim.

Since Naresh has become 100 percent disabled, his economic and social rehabilitation is the responsibility of the State. In a similar case of Chowari in Chamba, the H.P. High Court had awarded a compensation of Rs. 1 crore 25 lacs to the victim Naval Kumar on 9th January, 2015. In the same manner, Naresh should also be given a compensation of Rs. one crore by the government.

Umang Foundation has also informed Mr. Deep Kumar Upadhyay, the Ambassador of Nepal to India, about the incident and miserable condition of the Nepalese national and urged him to come forward to support the boy.

Stay updated on the go with Himachal Watcher News App. Click here to download it for your android device.