Connect with us

News

Jindan Murder: Protests in support of accused continue despite police confirms murder

Published

on

Jindan myrder case

Sirmaur: The Additional Superintendent of Police, Nahan, Virender Singh, on Thursday confirmed that RTI activist and BSP leader Kedar Singh Jindan was brutally murdered on September 7, 2018. The police has received the autopsy report but was yet to receive reports of forensic tests and call details.

As per the ASP, the accused first contacted Jindan phonically and asked him to come down on the road.

On arrival, he was beaten badly. When he fell on the road after losing consciousness, Jaiprakash run over Jindan thrice and the face of the victim was completely crushed,

the ASP told media.

The Special Investigation Team formed to probe this case has also recovered the weapon (iron rod) used to assault him.

The SIT said it has solved the case and only a few small legal formalities remain to be completed. On Wednesday, accused were taken to the spot to recreate the scene. Though SIT did not confirm it, a Hindi daily said all three accused have confessed their crime.

So far, total three persons including the up-pradhan of panchayat Jaiprakash have been arrested. Third accused Karm Singh was arrested on Tuesday by the SIT. All three are on a police remand till September 17.

Protests in Support of Accused Continue

Despite confirmation by the police SIT regarding the murder, there appears to be a bid to spark casteist unrest by protestors. After Bakras, another protest was organized in Sataun region by locals in support of the accused. The protestors want the police to drop charges of murder under Section 302 against accused. They also burnt an effigy of the MLA, Theog, Rakesh Singha alleging him of inciting casteist propaganda over the killing of Jindan.

Further, these protestors are agitating against the inclusion of charges under the SC/ST Act in the FIR. Under this Act, the family of the victim is eligible for Rs. 8.25 lakh relief. The Education Minister Suresh Bhardwaj has already announced a relief of total Rs. 20 lakh, government job to Jindan’s wife, and free education to his children.

However, there is a resentment among the protesting group regarding this relief under the SC/ST Act. They are asking the police to drop the charges under this Act. 

At the same time, this group is maintaining that Shillai is a peaceful place and people of all castes live in harmony, which doesn’t seem to be the case considering their support to the accused. 

The case has provided an opportunity to fuel caste-based politics in the otherwise peaceful state. The protests in support of accused could create unrest among the SC/ST community.

Jindan Never Asked For Protection, He Had No Threat to Life: DGP

The Director-General of Police, HP, Sita Ram Mardi, on Wednesday told media that he never received any request for police protection from Jindan.

Jindan had met me in my Shimla office but never felt any threat to his life nor he demanded any security,

 DGP told PTI.

It’s pertinent to mention that the family of the victim had been maintaining that Jindan had sought police protection as he was receiving threats to life. It was alleged that despite request no protection was provided by police.

The police was facing scathing criticism over this matter. 

No Words Regarding Alleged BPL Fraud Jindan Tried to Expose

Amid a large number of updates regarding the case, so far no comments are being made regarding the authenticity of allegations labelled by Jindan against up-pradhan Jaiprakash. These allegations appear to be the immediate regions for this murder.  On June 29 this year, Jindan had held a press conference at the Press Club of Shimla. He had alleged that Jai Prakash had facilitated registration of well to do families in the Below Poverty Line category. Using BPL certificates, these families had allegedly managed to obtain government jobs along with other benefits. He had produced pictures showing bungalow and vehicles owned by the family.

He had told media that information regarding this fraud was received through an RTI. However, the district administration, police, and the State government is silent regarding it. 

News

Himachal Pradesh: 662 New Cases & 7 Deaths in 24 Hours, Over 4500 Cases & 55 Deaths in 9 Nine Days

Published

on

Himachal Pradesh COVID-19 report

Shimla– The number of new daily COVID-19 cases and deaths in Himachal Pradesh was reported to be 662 and seven respectively on Friday till 7 pm. Kangra district reported the highest 165 new cases and four fatalities, while Sirmaur, Shimla, and Mandi recorded one fatality each.

View details of COVID-19 deaths below:

Daily covid 19 deaths

Source: HP NHM

Solan followed Kangra district with 132 new cases.

Find district-wise details of new cases below:

Daily COVID-19 deaths in himachal pradesh

Source: HP NHM

The COVID-19 case and death tallies have now reached 68173 and 1090 respectively. In April, the state has recorded a huge surge in cases. In the nine days of this month, the state has recorded 4568 new cases and 55 COVID-19 deaths – a rate of more than six deaths per day.

The state government today reviewed the situation in its Cabinet meeting and expressed concern. However, no restrictive measures were taken except extending the closure of all educational institutes till April 21.

Chief Minister Jairam Thakur had been maintaining that a lockdown would be the last resort.

Further, the state government today said that to make vaccination people’s movement, 11th to 14th April may be celebrated as ‘Teeka Utsav’.

The government said that the biggest matter of concern was that the virus was spreading at a fast pace. In addition to this, the number of death has also increased rapidly. All the districts have been advised to enhance their capacity be it bed capacity, quarantine capacity and medical equipment capacity etc.

Chief Minister Jairam Thakur said that strict action must also be taken against those involved in gross violation of SOPs. He said that the hoteliers must also strictly follow the SOPs so that the State Government may not be forced to take action. He said that laxity shown by the people has resulted in sharp resurgence of Covid cases in the State.

It’s pertinent to mention that during the campaigning for the elections to Municipal Corporations, all parties and their leaders including the Chief Minister violated all SOPs without attracting any action. The parties also faced criticism for ignoring public health for the sake of political interests, thus, setting wrong examples for the public.  

Feature Image: Pexels@polina-tankilevitch

Continue Reading

News

HP Cabinet Decisions: Educational Institutes Closed Till April 21 Amid COVID-19 Surge, No Decision on Other Restrictions

Published

on

HP Cabinet decision on curfew

Shimla-The Himachal Pradesh Cabinet today held a meeting in which it expressed concern over the sharp surge in Covid-19 cases in the State. The Cabinet decided to keep all educational institutions closed till April 21. The institutes would also remain closed for teaching and non-teaching staff except the staff required for exam duties till the 21st of this month.

A decision was taken to fill up 311 posts of Forest Guards in the Forest Department on a contract basis through direct recruitment. These include already approved 113 posts of Forest Guards by the State Cabinet during its meeting held on 9th of March this year.   

The Cabinet decided to fill up 25 posts of Agriculture Development Officers on a contract basis in Agriculture Department through HP Public Service Commission against direct recruitment quota. 

It decided to implement the central sector scheme SVAMITVA in the state for surveying the land parcels in rural inhabited areas using Drone technology. For this, Revenue Department would be designated as the Nodal Department for implementation of the scheme with the support of the Panchayati Raj Department. For this, MoU would be signed with the Survey of India for starting the scheme in the State. A State Steering Committee, State Project Management Unit and District Project Monitoring Unit would also be constituted for effective implementation of the scheme.

The cabinet also gave its nod to extend employment on compassionate ground to the eligible indigent of the deceased employees against available vacant posts of Class-III and Class-IV in relaxation of five percent quota as against the available vacant posts of class-III and Class-IV in DC offices of Shimla, Kinnaur, Solan and Kangra and office of Settlement Officer Kangra Division.  

It also gave its consent that the project for the development of multi-storey parking-cum-shopping complex at U-Block Mandi may be awarded under PPP mode to the highest bidder at an annual concession fee of Rs. 63,63,000 plus GST and all other applicable taxes per annum, as per terms and conditions of RFP. The selected bidder would also pay an upfront premium of Rs. 2 crores to the authority by way of five equal instalments of Rs. 40 lakh each for 24 months starting from the compliance date.

The cabinet also gave its approval for the creation of five posts of different categories for each newly created Nagar Panchayats viz Shahpur, Chirgaon, Nerwa, Nirmand, Anni, Kandaghat and Amb for smooth functioning of these newly created Nagar Panchayats.

Presentations were also made before the Cabinet by Jal Shakti Department on the prevailing drought situation in the State. It was decided to hold a review meeting under the chairmanship of the Chief Minister including all the stakeholder departments for further decisions.

Continue Reading

News

Una Murder Case: Body of 22-Year-Old Girl Exhumed, Enraged Villagers Create Ruckus

Published

on

una girl murder case

Una-The alleged murder of a 22-year-old girl in Jadla Kohri village under the Gagret sub-division of Una district created a stir on Wednesday as the police exhumed her body from near a temple complex.

According to the allegations, a man who was identified as one of the ‘pujaris of the temple, has admitted killing the girl. He reportedly admitted hitting her on the head with an iron rod and later burying the body.

The Deputy Superintendent of Police, Amb, has confirmed the report.

Una murder case

According to the initial information, the girl was missing since April 3, 2021, and a complaint regarding the same was filed at the local police station in Gagret the next day.

The police zeroed in on the said accused based on call details and reached the temple today. A large number of villagers also followed the police. When the police exhumed the body based on the location identified by the accused, angry villagers turned violent and demanded handing over the accused to them. A minor clash between police and villagers was also reported. Villagers vandalized the temple premises.

Amid this tense atmosphere, police somehow protected the accused from the enraged mob and managed to get him out safely.

The body of the girl was sent for post-mortem, the Superintendent of Police, Una, Arjit Sen, confirmed.

Though not officially confirmed, some local media reports suggested that the deceased and the accused were known to each other. The girl had recently got engaged to another man.

 Further details are awaited.

Continue Reading

Trending