Connect with us

Misc News/Press Release

Shimla Police Again in Controversy Over Alleged Rape of Teenager in Moving Car

Published

on

Rape in shimla in moving car

Shimla-Reports of alleged rape with a 19-year-old girl in a moving car in Shimla city on Sunday night has created a stir. The police department is not sharing any information regarding it except that the investigation is in progress. Various national English and Hindi Dailies have published different versions of reports as the police is reluctant in providing media with details or the statement of the victim.

The victim is said to be a resident of Haryana, who is a student of a private institute in Shimla.

The reports have raised a serious question over the law and order situation in the city. As the State is bound to go to polls on May 19 for the Lok Sabha Elections, the issue is likely to become an agenda.   

Some reports said the girl had taken a lift in a car while she was on her way from Dhalli to the Mall Road Shimla. Another report in a national English Daily said that as per police, she was dragged into a car and raped somewhere between Sanjauli and Dhalli.

However, Hindi Daily Amar Ujala has labelled serious allegations on the smart police of Shimla city. The report in the Daily said the girl had approached Lakkar Bazaar Police Post with a complaint of harassment but wasn’t attended on the pretext that the area where the incident took place doesn’t fall under its jurisdiction. She was told to report it on Gudiya Helpline. When she was returning home on foot, she was abducted and raped in a moving car, the Daily said.

The Daily said the police failed to take preemptive action despite the fact the girl had approached it with a complaint of harassment prior to her alleged abduction and rape.

Reports also said the Deputy Inspector General of Police himself visited the Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, to record the statement of the victim on Monday morning. The medical examination has confirmed rape, the reports said.  

The police, the Daily said, denied the allegation that the victim had asked the police to lodge any complaint of harassments at the Lakkar Bazaar Police Post. Instead, the report said, the girl only inquired about where she can lodge a complaint of harassment and left the station.

The inconsistency of the reports doesn’t end here. While some reports said she was raped and dumped in half naked condition on roadside, others said she was found somewhere in jungle.  

So far, the police has not provided media with any clear details regarding the number of the accused involved or exact spot from where the victim was abducted and raped.

So far, the police has not confirmed any arrest or identification of accused involved.  The only information that the police has provided is that an FIR has been lodged under Sections 376 (rape) and 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 506 (criminal intimidation). 

Police said CCTV footages of area are being collected and soon more details would be provided after investigation.

It’s pertinent to mention that Himachal Pradesh Police, especially Shimla Police, was in controversy over the gruesome rape and murder of a 16-year-old girl in Kotkhai Tehsil of Shimla in July 2016. Nine police officials including ex-Inspector General of Police Zahur H Zaidi, ex-SP Shimla DW Negi, Dy SP Theog Manoj Joshi and six others were arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation in relation to Guidya case in 2016. They were charged with allegedly framing innocent persons for gangrape and murder of Gudiya and killing one of the accused in custody.

However, it’s not possible to confirm any details for now unless the police come out with a clear statement.

Misc News/Press Release

Solan Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises to 14 Including 13 Jawans and 1 Civilian, Rescue Operation Concluded

Published

on

Solan Building Collapse death toll

Solan-The toll of those killed in the collapse of a multi-storey building yesterday in Kumarhatti of Solan district that also housed a restaurant ‘Sehaj Tandoori Dhaba’ has risen to 14 as the rescue teams recovered more bodies. Over 25 people have been rescued and sent to Dharampur hospital for treatment. The deceased included 13 army jawans and one civilian, confirmed the Vivek Chandel, ADM, Solan. The rescue operation has concluded. As per the administration, total 42 people were trapped including 30 Jawans of Assam Rifles and 12 civilians. 

“Since yesterday, 17 Armymen and 11 civilians have been rescued. Three teams of the National Disaster Response Force have taken over the rescue,”

the Deputy Commissioner KC Chaman told PTI.

The building located on the Nahan-Kumarhatti road that housed a restaurant on one of the floors came down around 4 PM on July 14. As it was Sunday, several army personals of Assam Rifles had come to dine at the restaurant. The hotel owner also lived in the building along with his wife and two children. While the children were playing in the neighbourhood, their mother was present in the building. She reportedly died in the collapse, confirmed Additional SP Shiv Kumar Sharma.

Watch Video

Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur on July 15 also visited the spot and ordered a magisterial probe to ascertain the cause of the collapse. An FIR against the owner of the building has also been registered.
Jairam thakur in solan

With this tragedy, questions are being raised over the legality of the construction. The building that was constructed in 2009 had at least four storeys. One of the storeys, as per reports, was added recently.Some reports suggested that complaints were also filed regarding the construction of this building.

Solan Rescue Operation

Currently, weak foundation and non-compliance with existing rules regarding the construction of buildings are considered as causes of the collapse. However, the district administration officials said the actual causes could only be ascertained after a probe.

Over 250 men of National Disaster Relief Force, District Police, and army jawans from nearby cantonment were continuously carrying out rescue work since yesterday. 

Continue Reading

Misc News/Press Release

2 killed, Several Trapped as Multi-Storey Building Collapses in Solan’s Kumarhatti

Published

on

Solan Building Collapse

Solan– A multi-storey building collapsed in Kumarhatti in Solan district today. Twp people said to have been killed. As per initial information available, over 35 people were present inside the building, which is said to be a dhaba (restaurant) when it collapsed. Over 15 persons were pulled out of debris and rescued while several others are feared to be still trapped. The incident occurred during a heavy downpour.


Several of these trapped people included army jawans. The army personnel and their family members were on their way to Uttarakhand and had stopped at the restaurant for lunch, a district official told PTI.

Solan building

As per a Tweet by the Chief Minister Jairam Thakur, about 40 people were trapped under the debris. Out of these, 19 were rescued and operation is in progress to rescue others.

Latest update from ANI said that 22 people were rescued. The rescued injured were taken to Dharampur hospital for treatment.

Injured in solan building collapse
As per the district administration, a team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was sent for from Panchkula for carrying out the rescue operation.

The Deputy Superintendent of Police, Solan, and the Additional District Magistrate had also reached the spot.
Himachal pradesh building collapse

solan

Continue Reading

Misc News/Press Release

Shimla’s Popular Baljees Restaurant Shuts Down, Workers Protest Over Unpaid Dues Worth Crores

Published

on

Baljees shimla closed, workers protest

Shimla-Today, the iconic Baljees — a 65-years-old restaurant located on the Shimla Mall will be winding up its operation. While the media is highlighting Shimla’s mourning over the closing of Baljees, its 70 workers, who are now rendered jobless, are protesting for the last two days for their unpaid dues. Several of these workers have been serving in the restaurant for over four decades and have contributed a lot towards its growth.

The workers alleged that the restaurant has not paid their dues worth about two crores. As per the workers, these dues include gratuity, bonus, leave encashment, notice pay, retrenchment compensation etc.  However, the Baljees management had earlier assured that all the dues would be cleared before closing.

The Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) has also come in support of these workers. It said the Baljees not only violating the Industrial Disputes Act 1947 but also going against the orders passed by the State High Court on July 12, 2018. In its July 12 orders, the court had made it clear that the management of the restaurant would have to pay all the dues before handing over the building to its owner.  In case the management fails to do so, this action would be considered as a contempt of the court orders, the CITU said.

The workers have urged the district administration and district police to make the management of the restaurant comply with the orders of the court. Otherwise, the workers said, they would file a contempt of court petition along with more protests.

 The Baljees, which was considered a destination restaurant, had gained popularity among both locals as well as tourists. Several influential political names from Virbhadra Singh to Prime Minister Narendra Modi used to visit the restaurant, it is said.  

Chandra Baljee had set up this restaurant in 1954. It was expanded in 1972 after which it became famous for Indian and continental food. The decision to close the building had come in 2018 after Baljees management lost the legal battle against the owner of the building, Lok Nath & Sons. The battle had started over operation charges for the building.

In 2015, the District and Sessions Court had ordered eviction. Later, the matter reached the state High Court where operation charges were hiked from Rs 18,000 to 1.35 lakh per month.  However, the owner was demanding. Then, the case reached the Supreme court, and then back to the High Court. Finally, in July 2018, Baljees management and Alok Nath & sons arrived at a mutual compromise. The management decided to evacuate the building and sought one year’s time to wind up its operation. This deadline ended today.   

Continue Reading

Trending